This all started with Coconut Ice Cream last week. I just couldn’t stop thinking about strawberry sundaes, and because it’s Spring, rhubarb just snuck right in there. The sweetness of the strawberries is so good when paired with the tangy rhubarb and melded together with a touch of orange zest.
With so much rhubarb coming up in the garden, I’m making large batches of this sauce and eating it by the bowlful for breakfast.
Wash and trim your rhubarb.
Thinly slice and place it in a large saucepan with the rest of the ingredients for cooking. I used thawed frozen strawberries because strawberries aren’t in season here yet. I like to use strawberry and rhubarb together not just because they’re a dynamic duo, but also because the strawberries sweeten the rhubarb and I don’t have to use so much sweetener. Adding a little orange zest really makes the flavors pop and add depth to the sauce.
My ‘spoon holder’ (Tyler) wasn’t too pleased when I told him he couldn’t finish the ice cream until I snapped a few more photos. I think the exact quote was, “once you’ve released the goods, you can’t take them back”. Needless to say, this is pretty good and between the two of us, that bowl of Coconut Ice Cream covered in Strawberry Rhubarb Sauce didn’t stand a chance.
- 1 Tablespoon arrowroot, mixed with ¼ cup water
- 1½ pounds rhubarb
- 1 pound strawberries, hulled, fresh or frozen
- ¼-1/2 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 Tablespoon orange zest
- Mix together all ingredients in a saucepan and place over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil stirring occasionally. Simmer on low for a few minutes until rhubarb is just tender.
- Remove from heat to cool. Cover and place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
This recipe was first posted by GI 365 | Get Inspired Everyday! All content is Copyright Protected - ©2013 - 2016 GI 365. All Rights Reserved.