Popsicles, Orange Sherbet, Orange Julius – you name it, creamy – dreamy orange concoctions are the best! Today I have a simple, 3-ingredient smoothie that’s good enough to keep me away from coffee in the morning – at least for a couple of hours anyways. And… speaking of coffee, it’s probably the most intrenched habit that I have no will whatsoever to break! So, even though coffee still has a firm hold, I’ve been drinking this smoothie as a Vitamin C packed boost to my day!
For a really deep orange flavor, I used a microplane zester to zest one of the oranges. The orange zest really brings out the orange-ness that would otherwise get masked by the coconut milk. As a bonus, this smoothie keeps in the fridge up to 3 days – which is kind of nice because I like having it around for snacks!
The success of this smoothie really depends on your quality of oranges. Whenever you have a simple recipe, quality of ingredients becomes more important as there isn’t anything else to cover it up! If cara cara oranges are available, be sure to try them because they usually have a lot of zip to them!
- 1 can (13.5 oz) refrigerated coconut milk (Native Forest)
- 6 medium sized oranges, peeled
- 2 Tablespoons orange zest, (from 1-2 oranges)
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- water, orange, or apple juice as needed if it's too thick
- Combine all the ingredients for the smoothie in a blender.
- Blend, starting on low and working your way up to high speed, until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate up to 3 days in a sealed container.
Tip 2: I call for refrigerated coconut milk so that the smoothie stays nice and cold. You can always add some ice if your ingredients are at room temperature.
Tip 3: if your oranges are really lackluster, try adding a bit of orange juice concentrate to amp up the flavor.
This recipe was first posted by GI 365 | Get Inspired Everyday! All content is Copyright Protected - ©2013 - 2015 GI 365. All Rights Reserved.